Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pictures that Lie


I chose the image of Katie Couric because I think that it was the picture with the most change. The picture on the left originated from TVNewser. TVNewser obtained the photo from CBS in May. The picture on the right was taken from the September issue of Watch magazine, which is a CBS publication. It was manipulated by making Couric slimmer, making her outfit darker, and altering the lighting. It was probably manipulated to make Couric look like the ideal woman. I think it was harmful because photos like this one make people have a specific idea of what all women should look. You can get a closer look at the picture here.



5 comments:

  1. I agree. I like that you posted a link to the original page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. It is important to be comfortable in your own skin, and we shouldn't promote such a concentration on the importance of image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you chose this picture. It was a very good idea to post the original page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you made some really good points. one should not be judged by appearance.nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I want to be a newscaster one day, this picture is especially disturbing to me. I mean, this is supposed to be a reliable news station, and they're lying on their picture. What a shame.

    I love that you chose this picture. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete