Monday, April 12, 2010

Picture that Lie

Some examples of digitally manipulated photos are "... magazine and newspaper covers [that] depict celebrities doing things that they have never done in places that they have never visited; print and TV advertisements [that] show products doing things that they cannot do; and digitally enhanced movies [that] present compellingly seamless blends of reality and fantasy." My picture that lies consists of a picture of the hip hop artist Jay Sean and a picture of me with a friend of mine. I took both of these photos and combined them to make a new photo: one of Jay Sean and me. I chose the picture of Jay Sean because he is my favorite music artist and I thought it would be fun to doctor a picture of me with him. I chose this picture because someday I plan on meeting him, but for now, this picture is good enough. I found the original picture on a interviewer's website. I don't think that the manipulation was harmful in any way because the photo was intended for personal use, not for anything commercial or that is going to be published. The article I found talked about how doctored photos can create false memories. I can see how that happens because I feel like I have already met Jay Sean!

Wade, Kimberly. "A picture is worth a thousand lies: Using false photographs to create false childhood memories." Psychonomic Bulliten and Review 9.3 (2002): 597-603. Web. 12 Apr 2010. .

4 comments:

  1. This looks really convincing! I hope you meat him one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you blended the 2 pictures very well, it looks real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i love this, it looks so real

    ReplyDelete